Read-only gas limit is too low probably

I am using Snapshot (https://snapshot.org/) which uses Moralis.

Recently one of our Quickswap proposals wasn’t working on Snapshot. We traced the issue down to this Moralis node RPC error: “missing revert data in call exception”.

We suspect this is caused by a read-only gas limit on the node. Assuming that we were able to do a work around to get our proposal working but it is not a good workaround and may break in the future.

It is possible that the read-only gas limit on the Moralis node is set too low. If this is the case I would like to ask that this limit be removed or significantly increased.

The read-only gas limit on nodes can be controlled with the rpc.gascap limit.
From geth documentation:

-rpc.gascap value    Sets a cap on gas that can be used in eth_call/estimateGas (0=infinite) (default: 50000000)

That default of 50 million is too low. I suggest setting it to infinite or 1 billion. As an example Infra sets their gascap to 10x the current gas block limit. So that sets gascap to about 300 million for infra nodes on Ethereum. I think that is still too low.

It looks like we removed that limit for mainnet nodes like: https://speedy-nodes-nyc.moralis.io/ID_HERE/polygon/mainnet and not for archive nodes like https://speedy-nodes-nyc.moralis.io/ID_HERE/polygon/mainnet/archive. And in your particular case it looks like it was used an archive node.

@cryptokid Understood. Thanks. Snapshot needs to use an archive node. Can the limit be removed or significantly increased in archive nodes?

We plan on removing the limit on archive nodes too.

Very cool! When do you plan to remove this limit?

I expect it to be removed in 2-3 days.

Awesome, thank you sir!

@cryptokid Was the limit removed?

that is my expectation, that the limit was removed

Thanks. Can you find out if it was removed, or who should I ask?

what is the problem that you have now?

The same problem as before as described by my first post in this thread. My Snapshot proposal is not working because the Moralis gascap setting is too low — at least that is the way it seems.

ok, it worked until today fine and today it started to have this error?

Now I think that if the read only gas limit is used in eth_call/estimateGas then it can create other problems for users that don’t have enough funds to estimate a transaction resulting in an estimation error for them when they have enough funds to make the transaction but they don’t have enough funds to estimate the gas cost for that transaction.

what is the chain in particular that you use now?

Polygon. I don’t think the gas estimator is used for read-only, off chain, function calls on contracts.

what node function is called when you get that error?

eth_call, but it is made off chain. I could be wrong. Anyway, can you help me?

I don’t know if I can help you. If you use a different node provider it works fine?

I think that initially I thought that it was a different problem.

I asked you if the rpc.gascap can be be increased or removed in moralis archive nodes.

You said that you expect the limit to be removed 2-3 days.

Now 3 months have passed and you can’t answer my question: Has the limit been removed? Is there some reason you can’t find out? Do you work for Moralis and provide support for them?

Please review this support thread: Read-only gas limit is too low probably

I think that initially was a confusion on my side on what limit it was. I thought that it was a different limit related to sending transactions.