Query Question (limit)

I populated a table using a moralis query and its returning the data just fineā€¦ however if there are multiple results using the same parameter I only want the last returned. Iā€™m creating an inbox so I only want the latest object displayed from a specified user, not all of them. I tried adding aggregate-limit:

.aggregate({limit: 1})

Nothing was returningā€¦ Hereā€™s my code:

const { data } = useMoralisQuery("Messages", query =>
  query
    .equalTo("to", user.get("username"))
);
  const products = data.map(item => ({
    username: JSON.stringify(item, ['from']),
    content: JSON.stringify(item, ['content']),
    date: JSON.stringify(item, ['updatedAt'])
   }))

this is the version that works and returns all the results that you pasted here as code?
you can use:

query
query.limit(5);

I understand the .limit functionā€¦ let me rephrase:

You see the username column? You see the 2 messages from the same user ({ā€œfromā€:ā€œethershareā€})? Iā€™m trying to return only the last object created from the name ā€œethershareā€

how do you make it work without limit, so that it returns only the messages from that {ā€œfromā€:ā€œethershareā€} username?

Right now adding limit(1) only returns the last single object from the Entire query, thats not what Iā€™m trying to doā€¦ this table is supposed to show ALL messages received from ALL users, however if there are multiple messages received from someone (in this case itā€™s ethershare) I only want to display the latest messageā€¦

Right now itā€™s like an email inbox where it shows literally every message (even if I received 5 in a row from the same person), but Iā€™m trying to replicate for example how SMS/iMessage/Telegram apps only display the last message from each contact

you say that you are not able to select only the messages from a specific contract now?
how is that you choose to add {ā€œfromā€:ā€œethershareā€} for username and not ethershare or a list of usernames?

That is NOT what I am trying to communicate to you, Iā€™ve been saying the same thing but rewording trying to make my question more clearā€¦ I used the word contact not contRact; as in contact-list saved in a phone.

Your second sentence is another issue I was going to work on as wellā€¦ data.from doesnā€™t return anything, I tried this earlier:

username: data.from,
    content: data.content,
    date: data.updatedAt
   }))

This doesnā€™t return anything either:

username: JSON.parse(JSON.stringify(item, ['from'])),
    content: JSON.parse(JSON.stringify(item, ['content'])),
    date: JSON.parse(JSON.stringify(item, ['updatedAt']))
   }))

So far the code in my original post is the only thing Iā€™ve got to workā€¦ if you have advice on that too Iā€™m all earsā€¦

how do you save that data in that table?
I would use something like object.set(ā€œUsernameā€, ā€œethershareā€);

Everything has already been set and saved to the databaseā€¦ this is a Query, Iā€™m not trying to change anything. I just want the table to only show the last message from each user, maybe itā€™s confusing because Iā€™ve only received messages from ethershare (because I sent it to myself)ā€¦ But right now the query is returning the entire inbox

is that a string what you save in Username column? like {ā€œfromā€:ā€œethershareā€} is a string? if yes you can do match on that exact string.

why would I do match? ethershare is literally me, I sent the message to myselfā€¦ I already used .equalTo

query
);

The query returns all of the messages sent to the logged in user

You see how the screenshot I posted shows 2 messages in a row from ethershare? I Donā€™t want that, if I receive multiple messages from someone I only want the last message from that contact displayedā€¦ then they will click and a modal showing the whole convo will pop up. Do you understand? Iā€™m trying to explain a feature thats been on sms/IM applications since the 90ā€™s

@Yomoo please maybe you will understand my question

I think that I understand your question, I donā€™t know how you added that data in your table in order to answer your question, you want to get latest messages that current user received from x contact, youā€™ll have to filter by x contact in order to do that, or to be able to identify x contact in those messages.

this is how I populated the table, itā€™s all stringsā€¦ and not latest messages plural. I want one row (latest) for each username.

I mean in code how you saved that data in the table, in order to get the latest row you will need to filter by that contact and then to sort by Date and to get only latest row. (in case that you know the contact)

You could also use a beforeSave hook in order to insert in a different table only the latest message from a contact so that you get it faster from there.

But if those are strings, you could try:

query
  query.qualTo("Username", '{"from":"ethershare"}')
  query.limit(1)
);

only to see if it works

I ran your codeā€¦ what made you put query in front of the .equalTo and .limit? That gave me errorsā€¦ I also dont have value for ā€œUsernameā€, that was just the title of the column (to, from, content is all)

this returned the one message but I don't think this logic will work universally... the row without 'from' specified would be showing too in a perfect world

query
    .descending('createdAt')
    .equalTo("from", "ethershare")
    .limit(1)
);

const newMessage = () => {
    const handleClose = () => setShow(false);
    const handleShow = () => setShow(true);
      return(
        <>
            <Button className='newmessage' onClick={handleShow}>New Message</Button>

<Modal show={show} onHide={handleClose}>
            <Modal.Header closeButton>
                <Modal.Title>New Message</Modal.Title>
            </Modal.Header>
            <Modal.Body>
                <Form>
                    <Form.Group className="mb-3" controlId="formBasicEmail">
                        <Form.Label>To:</Form.Label>
                        <Form.Control type="username" placeholder="Enter Username" onChange={ (event) => setMessageTo(event.target.value) } />
                    </Form.Group>
                    <Form.Group>
                        <Form.Label>Message:</Form.Label>
                        <Form.Control as="textarea" rows={7} onChange={ (event) => setMessage(event.target.value) } />
                    </Form.Group>
                </Form>
                {error }
            </Modal.Body>
            <Modal.Footer>
                <Button variant="secondary" onClick={handleClose}>
                Close
                </Button>
                <Button variant="primary" disabled={isSaving}onClick={async () => {await save({to: messageTo, from: user.get("username"), content: message});handleClose();}}>
                Send
                </Button>
            </Modal.Footer>
            </Modal>
    </>
  )}

I was more used with vanilla js syntax and that is why I added query in front of .equalTo.

what you mean by:

this returned the one message but I donā€™t think this logic will work universallyā€¦ the row without ā€˜fromā€™ specified would be showing too in a perfect world

I saw that you have a row where ā€œfromā€ was not set, but I donā€™t know if it was intentional or not.

Unintentionalā€¦ I sent to database before I added the from: user.get("username") to save() function

To return that one I queried:

query
    .descending('createdAt')
    .equalTo("from", )
    .limit(1)
);

I wonder what (if possible) I could substitute that works for each ā€˜fromā€™ value

you mean that you would like to do something like a single query to get you latest message for each from value?

I donā€™t know exactly if it is possible with a single query.

1 Like